AFL

Magpies keen to retain Cox but Sier and Thomas finishing at Collingwood

Sier, 23, has been let go by the Pies after 28 AFL matches including just seven this year, having burst onto the scene in the back half of 2018. Having been left in limbo through the trade period he has since been informed he will not be offered a new deal.

Loading

Thomas played 123 matches across more than a decade in the league. The Queenslander’s career was interrupted by a two-year drug suspension, but he bounced back to become an important player for the Pies.

“The last two months has given me time to reflect and, after careful consideration, I believe the right decision has emerged,” Thomas said.

“I feel incredibly fortunate to reach the end of my career and be genuinely content with my time in the game.”

Wright reiterated that the Pies were keen to retain Lynch, but understood why he would seek to get out of Brodie Grundy’s shadow.

“It was disappointing. There was a spot here for him. But we understood he wanted to explore the opportunity to be first ruck somewhere. Hawthorn have given him that opportunity, he goes with our absolute best wishes.

“We understood Brodie’s got a six-year deal, and when you’re an understudy, maybe you don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Josh Thomas and Brayden Sier.Credit:The Age

“Just because Brodie’s got a six-year deal doesn’t mean he’s got a mortgage on the position … but everyone would say Brodie’s one of the best four or five ruckmen in the competition, so it’s going to be difficult to push yourself past him.”

Wright said the Pies had largely achieved what they wanted from the trade period, landing Nathan Kreuger from Geelong, Patrick Lipinski from the Western Bulldogs and gaining draft points to match an expected early bid on father-son young gun Nick Daicos.

“We had clear priorities as we entered the trade period, with trying to bring Nathan in, and Pat, and we’re really pleased to be able to do that, but also to have enough points to match a bid for Nick. We were able to clear those priorities, we feel like we’ve got plenty of points,” Wright said.

Wright also confirmed that the Pies had become involved in talks with the Giants about Bobby Hill, who had been keen to move to Victoria, but that it was made clear to Collingwood that GWS wanted to retain the contracted small forward.

“We were involved from Friday. Not at as high a level as Essendon obviously, we think that was his preference, but we were certainly an option for him. We made a bit of a play at the end but GWS were very keen to keep him, he’s a high-quality young small forward.”

Geelong will meanwhile delist big-bodied midfielder Charlie Constable, while leaving the door ajar to pick him up as a rookie if still available later in the year. Constable will explore his options as a delisted free agent in the hope of getting a solid opportunity elsewhere in the AFL having been starved of senior games across four seasons at Kardinia Park.

Hawthorn are also set to part ways with small forward Ollie Hanrahan. Having missed out on Chad Wingard and Luke Breust, the Giants are now looking at Hanrahan. Essendon also announced the delisting of defender Martin Gleeson just three games short of the 100-game milestone.

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button