World

Norway bow and arrow attacks: Suspect charged as police say Kongsberg killings ‘appear to be act of terrorism’

The killings of five people in Norway by a man armed with a bow and arrows “appears to be an act of terrorism”, the country’s security agency has said.

Four women and one man were killed during the rampage in the town of Kongsberg, with a police officer among three others injured.

A statement issued by PST, Norway’s security service, said: “The incidents in Kongsberg appear at the moment to be an act of terrorism, but the investigation, which is led by the South-East police district, will clarify in more detail what the incidents were motivated by.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Police helicopters at scene of bow and arrow attacks

It said the terrorism threat in Norway had not changed from “moderate”.

“At the same time, PST is working to investigate whether what has happened could inspire others to commit serious acts of violence, in the form of follow-up actions, revenge actions and more,” the statement said, before adding that the service “does not have currently have information that that is the case”.

“The accused in the case is known to PST from before, without PST being able to provide further details about him.”

The attacker managed to get away from officers who initially confronted him after firing arrows at them.

More on Kongsberg Attacks

Espen Andersen Brathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen living in Kongsberg, was arrested around half an hour later at 6.47pm local time.

Police believe all the killings happened during that period.

Norway map of bow and arrow attacks location
Police continue work in Kongsberg. Pic: AP
Image:
Police continue work in Kongsberg. Pic: AP

They say the suspect, who has since been charged with the murders, had previously been identified as showing signs of radicalisation and will now be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts.

A since deleted video originally posted on YouTube has surfaced online, in which Brathen discusses having converted to Islam.

Prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said he had admitted carrying out the attack.

Senior officers say the suspect had been convicted several times in the past, and was the subject of a six-month restraining order against two close family members last year after he threatened to kill one of them.

He also had convictions for burglary and for possession of small amounts of cannabis in 2012.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Flags at half-mast and candles lit after attacks

Witnesses described a “shocking” scene after the killings in Kongsberg, with one describing the moment he saw a man with “an arrow in his back”.

A number of Wednesday’s victims were in the town centre’s Coop Extra supermarket when they were attacked.

Kongsberg, a small town of around 26,000 inhabitants, is situated about 41 miles southwest of Oslo.

Local officials said anyone who needed support would be welcome at the town’s main church.

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere described the attack as “horrific”, while King Harald V said in a statement to the mayor of Kongsberg that it “shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it”.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button